Full disclosure: I have finally installed some analytics on this brag.
Now, now, keep your cool! No need for those pitchforks, please put them down and read on.
- no, I am not and will never be using Google Analytics; for that matter, all content, fonts, CSS, images directly embedded in this site are and shall always be self-hosted locally – that means no Google/Yahoo/Bing/whatever Webfonts, no external JS tools, no external anything;
- no, I am not setting any cookies; I am tracking visits on the server-side, directly from this brag’s engine; I have no way of tracking returning visits and I do not intend to – day to day stats and rudimentary geo data are plenty for me;
I am using Piwik, hosted locally. Works great, it was easy to set-up, and even easier to implement on the site, and has everything I need (and then some).
I guess you want to hear some stats, so here they are:
- I get ~2000 visits and ~7000 pageviews daily; the wow factor is strong in this one…
- so far record number of visits and pageviews in a given day: 4412 and 14151, respectively (a day after my article has appeared on Slashdot);
- 15% of my visitors use Linux, another 34% – “other operating systems” (whatever that might be);
- Firefox is the most often used browser with 28% visitors using it; Chrome is unfortunately close second, with 25% (seriously, people, use Chromium instead);
- interestingly, I get about the same amount of visits/pageviews regardless of time of day…
- …which is probably related to the fact that I have had visitors from every continent apart from Antarctica;
- most of visitors seem to come from the United States, with France second and Poland third; surprisingly, I had ~1200 visits from mainland China, too.
By the way, if anybody is interested in translating some of the articles here to languages not featured yet, please feel free; I am very fortunate to have received Spanish translations from Carlos and Laura (thank you!), new languages are always welcome!
On with the stats, though! Now the question everybody’s been asking – the most popular bragposts!
- Of malware, hot steam, privacy, using one’s brain and paedoparanoia with 49383 pageviews;
- the Polish version of On sailor’s sensitivity, or “the starry heavens above me” with 26651 pageviews;
- Automagic re-publishing from Twitter to StatusNet with 7693 pageviews (I should probably mark that one as obsolete, after recent Twitter API changes…).
I seem to be getting about 120 hits via RSS and 170 via Atom daily. Not sure how many subscribers that boils down to, though.
What does it all mean?¶
Bear in mind these are from about a month of gathering. All this will probably change during next months.
Still, the numbers are very encouraging. 2k visits daily? 7k pageviews? Wow. I hoped for a few dozen, maybe. Happy to see my bragging is interesting for you! I’ll try to keep up the apparently decent work.